Announcing the last two regions of the 2011 Favorite Spartan Athlete bracket, the Munn-Daugherty and Mason Regions! The first two sections are the Munn-Daugherty, and here they are:
- The only sport-on-sport match-up happens at the top, as Kirk Gibson (you may also remember him from such sports as baseball) faces Muhsin Muhammad.
- One of the great things about this undertaking is that it produces random battles. Delvon Roe and Brandon Fields easily falls into that category.
- Speaking of random matchups, Bryan Lerg and Draymond Green would easily qualify as one of those.
- One of the great underrated Spartan hoopers in Johnny Green faces one of the (possibly, depending on your POV) great underrated football players in Jehuu Caulcrick.
Here's the other half of the Munn-Daugherty:
- Under the "If you helped us write Spartan Tip-Off, you get a spot" rule, Al Anagonye gets in and will face Brett Swenson, who you may remember from such clutch kicks as Wisconsin, 2008.
- This bracket also presents some tough match-ups, and I think Raymar v. Magic would fall into that category.
- The next one will tell a lot about the age demographics of this site. If this site skews old Bubba Smith wins easily. If not, I think Drew Stanton might pull it out.
- The last vote in the M-D region pits two great non-revenue athletes against one another. 2010 Masters participant Jack Newman goes up against steeplechaser Nicole Bush, who was one spot away from making the 2008 Olympics.
Next up, the Merchant region:
Sorry to disappoint you, but it's getting past my bedtime so no pithy comments on each matchup. Here's the last four:
So, final thoughts? I know there's bound to be snubs, and I tried to include as many of your favorite Spartans as possible while still allowing spots for non-revenue athletes. I'm going on vacation starting Tuesday, but I'll do my best to have the first "game" up on Tuesday.