Basketball's been pretty painful lately hasn't it? Let's think about football for a while. Jim over at A Beautiful Day for Football does terrific work. To thank him, before you read the projected depth chart, read this about the MSU-UM rivalry on the hardwood, or this football recruiting update.
After the jump, the projected two-deep on offense with a few notes. The projected two-deep on defense will be up later this afternoon/evening. These are merely one man's best guesses, your two-deep can and will vary.
|QB1||Andrew Maxwell||Andrew Maxwell||Connor Cook||Connor Cook|
|QB2||Connor Cook||Connor Cook||Tyler O'Connor||Tyler O'Connor|
|RB1||Le'Veon Bell||Le'Veon Bell||Nick Hill||Nick Tompkins|
|RB2||Larry Caper||Nick Hill||Nick Tompkins||TBD(2013 kid)|
|FB1||Niko Palazeti||Niko Palazeti||Niko Palazeti||Trevon Pendleton|
|FB2||Trevon Pendleton||Trevon Pendleton||Trevon Pendleton||TBD(?)|
|X1||Bennie Fowler||Bennie Fowler||Aaron Burbridge||Aaron Burbridge|
|X2||Juwan Caesar||Aaron Burbridge||Juwan Caesar||TBD(Monty Madaris)|
|Y1||DeAnthony Arnett||DeAnthony Arnett||DeAnthony Arnett||MacGarrett Kings|
|Y2||Andre Sims Jr.||MacGarrett Kings||MacGarrett Kings||TBD(2013 kid)|
|Z1||Tony Lippett||Tony Lippett||Tony Lippett||TBD(2013 kid)|
|Z2||Keith Mumphery||Keith Mumphery||Keith Mumphery||TBD(2013 kid)|
|TE1||Dion Sims||Dion Sims||Josiah Price||Josiah Price|
|TE2||Josiah Price||Josiah Price||Evan Jones||Evan Jones|
|LT1||Dan France||Dan France||Kodi Kieler||Kodi Kieler|
|LT2||Fou Fonoti||Henry Conway||Michael Dennis||TBD(2013 kid)|
|LG1||Fou Fonoti||Blake Treadwell||Brandon Clemons||Brandon Clemons|
|LG2||Blake Treadwell||Brandon Clemons||Benny McGowan||Benny McGowan|
|C1||Travis Jackson||Travis Jackson||Travis Jackson||Jack Allen|
|C2||Blake Treadwell||Blake Treadwell||Jack Allen||TBD(2013 kid)|
|RG1||Chris McDonald||Donavan Clark||Donavan Clark||Donavan Clark|
|RG2||Blake Treadwell||Blake Treadwell||Benny McGowan||Benny McGowan|
|RT1||Skyler Burkland||Skyler Burkland||Skyler Burkland||Zach Higgins|
|RT2||Fou Fonoti||Henry Conway||Zach Higgins||TBD(2013 kid)|
And the notes. Everything from here on out was written by Jim.
- You'll notice I've replaced Fou Fonoti at RT with Skyler Burkland, I think if Fonoti displaces anyone it'd be Dan France, Burkland has NFL size at a position where it's hugely beneficial to have NFL size.
- I currently have Fonoti taking over for Foreman at Left Guard. You could see any combination of Fonoti, Treadwell or Travis Jackson depending on who wins out at the battle for Center.
- The interior offensive line looks ferocious next year, expect the running between the tackles to improve.
- Freshmen I expect not to be redshirted next year: Josiah Price and that's it. I think Burbridge has the physical gifts, but unless Juwan Caesar is still hurt next fall, I think the only way Burbridge sees the field is if he wants to burn a redshirt.
- The staff said repeatedly that Lippett moves over to WR next season no matter what. Next year, I think MSU is an injury or two away at either CB or WR from needing Lippett real hard.
Transfer Risks After 2012:
- WR - Keith Mumphery after 2012, Andre Sims after 2012
- OT - Michael Dennis after 2012
- You can't ever have enough offensive linemen.
- I'm not real sure what MSU will do at QB in 2013. With O'Connor and Cook in the fold, there are two solid prospects. In the glory days of 5 star QB recruits typically you'd stagger solid prospects with 5 star prospects. I don't know if MSU is looking to try and go down this road or not. Our last two 3-star QBs(Hoyer and Cousins) have worked out just fine.