TMAPA, FL - JANUARY 02: Defensive end William Gholston #2 of the Michigan State Spartans celebrates a 33 - 30 triple overtime victory against the Georgia Bulldogs in the Outback Bowl January 2, 2012 at Raymond James Stadium, Tampa Florida. (Photo by Al Messerschmidt/Getty Images)
This morning I had the projected two-deeps for the offense by Jim from A Beautiful Day for Football, and now comes the defense. Once again, these are merely projections, best guesses, divinations, etc.
Check it out and assorted notes after the jump.
|SDE1||William Gholston||Denzel Drone||Joel Heath||Joel Heath|
|SDE2||Tyler Hoover||Joel Heath||Shilque Calhoun||TBD(2013 kid)|
|NT1||Rashad White||Micajah Reynolds||Matt Ramondo||Matt Ramondo|
|NT2||Micajah Reynolds||Matt Ramondo||Jordan Sanders||Jordan Sanders|
|DT1||Damon Knox||Damon Knox||Damon Knox||Damon Knox|
|DT2||James Kittredge||James Kittredge||James Kittredge||Joel Heath|
|WDE1||Marcus Rush||Marcus Rush||Marcus Rush||Jamal Lyles|
|WDE2||Shilique Calhoun||Shilique Calhoun||Taylor Calero||TBD(2013 kid)|
|STAR1||Chris Norman||Taiwan Jones||Taiwan Jones||Riley Bullough|
|STAR2||Taiwan Jones||Riley Bullough||Riley Bullough||TBD(2013 kid)|
|MIKE1||Max Bullough||Max Bullough||Lawrence Thomas||Lawrence Thomas|
|MIKE2||TyQuan Hammock||TyQuan Hammock||2013 kid(Johnny Reschke)?||2013 kid(Johnny Reschke)?|
|SAM1||Denicos Allen||Denicos Allen||Ed Davis||Ed Davis|
|SAM2||Steve Gardiner||Kyler Elsworth||TBD(2013 kid)||TBD(2013 kid)|
|FC1||Darqueze Dennard||Darqueze Dennard||Jeremy Langford||Ezra Robinson|
|FC2||Jeremy Langford||Jeremy Langford||Ezra Robinson||TBD(2013 kid)|
|FS1||Kurtis Drummond||Kurtis Drummond||Kurtis Drummond||RJ Williamson|
|FS2||RJ Williamson||RJ Williamson||RJ Williamson||Kyle Kerrick|
|SS1||Isaiah Lewis||Isaiah Lewis||Arjen Colquhoun||Arjen Colquhoun|
|SS2||Jairus Jones||Jairus Jones||Kyle Kerrick||Kyle Kerrick|
|BC1||Johnny Adams||Jermaine Edmonson||Jermaine Edmonson||Jermaine Edmonson|
|BC2||Mylan Hicks||Mylan Hicks||Ezra Robinson||TBD(2013 kid)|
Here's the notes Jim sent me on the defense:
2012 Depth Chart Notes
- I assumed Gholston to be gone after next year, I did not assume Bullough, Denicos Allen or Lewis to be gone even though none of them leaving would totally surprise me.
- I have Damon Knox winning The Battle to Be A Worthy Replacement, I really have no idea who'll win this, but he looks like the best bang for buck in 2012 for athleticism vs. size. He'll probably end up platooning with Kittredge. I forsee much platooning at the Jerel Worthy DT position next year.
Transfer Risks After 2012
- Whichever of our stock of 6'4 275 lb DTs don't get any playing time in 2012
- DB - Mylan Hicks
- DE - Taylor Calero
2013 Recruiting Strategem
- LB Opulence, if you wants to continue to has it: LB needs to be a point of emphasis in 2013 recruiting, MSU needs to bring in some young talented LBers. Note: I have included Johnny Reschke in the 2013 LB projected depth chart which is probably my biggest shot in the dark. The internets have indicated that MSU did not take a Mike in the 2012 class in hopes of securing Reschke.
- A Nose Tackle and a bigger bodied DT are strongly encouraged for 2013's class. MSU graduates White in 2012 and Reynolds in 13. Ramondo is the only other dude solidly into the 300s on the defensive line. After that there are a host of 270-280 lbs tweeners who will hopefully have a couple bulk up and a couple others speed up.