(Bump. Let's see who can win this.)
Let's be honest. Watching sporting events is always more interesting when it involves teams or players that you have picked in some sort of contest, whether it be gambling (legal, of course) or fantasy sports or office pools. And I'm not saying that the annual intrasquad Green & White Spring Game is NOT interesting, but one way to definitely make it MORE interesting? Create a TOC contest out of it! So, I propose the following:
- You get a budget of $100 in non-legal-tender "TOC Bucks" to spend on your team.
- You can select any 8 players, but must have 4 offense and 4 defense. The values have been assigned below based on a highly scientific, but highly classified, rating system.
- "Green" and "White" designations don't matter (if you want all players from the Green Team, no problem), except for QB, as explained below.
- You don't need to have any particular positions represented, but you have a max of 1 QB. So if you want All-Time QB Connor Cook, you have to specify WHICH Connor Cook you are selecting (Green Cook or White Cook). To make an informed decision, the rosters are here.
- You don't need a kicker, but if you take one, that counts as an offensive player.
- There are no return points because my recollection is that kick and punt returns are not live plays.
- Final scoring will be based on the official box score released by MSU. For example, here is last year's.
- The contest locks at 1 pm EST on Saturday.
- Prizes TBD, but could include such things as 1 year of free membership to TOC, a night on the town with Pete Rossman, eternal glory, or something else awarded by TOC management.
10 rushing/receiving yards: 1 point
25 passing yards: 1 point
TD (throwing, rushing, receiving): 6 points
2-point conversion (throwing, rushing, receiving): 2 points
Reception: 1 point
Lost fumble/interception: -2 points
PAT/FG under 30 yards: 1 point (-2 for miss)
FG 30-39 yards: 3 points (-1 for miss)
FG 40+ yards: 4 points
- Defensive Players:
Tackle: 1 point* (1/2 point for assisted tackle)
Tackle For Loss: 2 points* (1 point for assisted TFL)
Sack: 3 points* (1 1/2 points for assisted sack)
Interception: 4 points
Forced Fumble/Fumble Recovery: 2 points
Pass Break-Up: 1 point
Defensive TD: 8 points
Safety: 5 points
*Points for Sacks and TFLs are not double-counted - ie, 1 Sack does not also get points for being a Tackle and a TFL. For example, last year, Tyler Hoover had 2 tackles, one of which was a sack. He would get 4 points (3 for the sack and 1 for the other tackle). Trenton Robinson had 1 solo tackle and 2 assisted tackles, including 1 TFL. He would get 3 points (2 for the TFL and 1 for the 2 assisted tackles).
|Le'Veon Bell||RB||$40||Will Gholston||DE||$37|
|Larry Caper||RB||$30||Denicos Allen||LB||$32|
|Nick Hill||RB||$28||Max Bullough||LB||$28|
|Connor Cook||QB||$22||Isaiah Lewis||S||$23|
|Dion Sims||TE||$20||Johnny Adams||CB||$21|
|Andre Sims Jr||WR||$15||Marcus Rush||DE||$19|
|Jeremy Langford||WR||$13||Taiwan Jones||LB||$14|
|Keith Mumphery||WR||$11||Anthony R. White||DT||$13|
|Andrew Gleichert||TE||$10||TyQuann Hammock||LB||$12|
|DeAnthony Arnett||WR||$9||Kurtis Drummond||S||$12|
|John Jakubik||WR||$8||Jairus Jones||S||$11|
|Dan Conroy||K||$8||Darien Harris||LB||$11|
|Juwan Caesar||WR||$7||Kyler Elsworth||LB||$10|
|Derek Hoebing||TE||$6||Mitchell White||CB||$10|
|Kevin Muma||K||$5||Shilique Calhoun||DE||$9|
|Denzel Drone||TE||$4||Tyler Hoover||DT||$9|
|Kyle Kerrick||WR||$3||James Kittredge||DT||$8|
|Dana Dixon||WR||$3||RJ Williamson||S||$7|
|AJ Troup||WR||$2||Mylan Hicks||CB||$7|
|Peter Badovinac||QB||$2||Trae Waynes||CB||$6|
|Tommy Vento||QB||$2||Jeremy Gainer||DE||$5|
|Jordan Benton||WR||$1||Steve Gardiner||LB||$5|
|Spencer Elliott||WR||$1||Ed Davis||LB||$4|
|Tony Fant||RB||$1||Joel Heath||DE||$3|
|Niko Palazeti||FB||$1||Micajah Reynolds||DT||$3|
|Trevon Pendleton||FB||$1||Brandon Clemons||DT||$2|
|Jeff Bobek||FB||$1||Arjen Colquhoun||CB||$2|
So pick your team and post it in the Comments. At some point following the game (not making any promises how soon that will be), I'll tally up the points and post the winner. Hopefully I haven't overlooked anything obvious, but if so, feel free to post questions in the comments.
Disclaimer for any NCAA Officials, MSU Compliance Office staff, or other people without a sense of humor or understanding of how make-believe works: this contest is 100% for funsies, and in no way involves the payment of money to NCAA "student-athletes" or the wagering of money on collegiate athletics.
Disclaimer for anyone participating: you will most likely spend way too much time thinking about this.