Tonight's winner will advance to play UConn--who edged by Wichita State 83-79 behind 29 second-half points (!) from Kemba Walker. Kentucky just advanced to the second round of the winner's bracket, as well, beating Oklahoma 76-64 in front of a crowd that looked like it was teleported in from Rupp Arena.
Time to hydrate up. Go State. Beat the Swords.
- Walker: "Of course revenge is on the back of my mind..." - LSJ Blogs: Hey, Joe
Rexrode on UConn. Only two players remain on Huskie roster from 2009 Final Four game; MSU still has five guys around who saw action in that game.
- 'Drag' gives Spartans another look on offense | lansingstatejournal.com | Lansing State Journal
More Rexrode; must read. Still unclear what the "drag" term has to do with anything. Basically sounds like smart, quick players making smart, quick plays--which I am in favor of.
- MSU stays No. 2 in hoops poll, but loses one first-place vote | detnews.com | The Detroit NewsWould have expected one resume-oriented voter out there to give Ohio State a first-place vote.
- How much do elite freshmen instantly impact college basketball? - Luke Winn - SI.com
From last week. Expect Appling and Payne to make averageish contributions in terms of offensive efficiency.
- Big Ten Bradley-Terry Projections: The Final Countdown - Off Tackle Empire
SpartanDan's one-week-to-go breakdown of each Big Ten team's prospects. MSU down to #18 in his margin-aware rankings, BTW; #11 in the basic rankings. Forget whether I've said this on front page already: the basic rankings are extremely sane looking for not utilizing any information on margin of victory. Put 'em in the BCS formula!
- NCAA College Football BCS Bowl Projections Week 12 - ESPN
Consensus is MSU-Alabama in Capital One Bowl. Could happen even if MSU loses on Saturday. Hmmm, is there some connection between the two teams that might interest the media?
- Linebacker-U.com: Review: Penn State 41, Indiana 24
Biggies and slappies. McGloin efficient; pass defense inconsistent.
- MSU QB Kirk Cousins says he'll be ready to play Saturday vs. Penn State | freep.com | Detroit Free Press
"I think with a week to heal and with our trainers, we will get a plan together and be ready to go. With only one week left, there is not really a reason to baby it because we have a month off after that, so we are going to give it all we got."