- Stating Michigan State's case for the BCS - Big Ten Blog - ESPN
Dantonio: "It would have been interesting to see if we would have played Iowa in the fifth week and lost and then played Wisconsin in the ninth week and won, how that would have affected everything." You can make a decent argument for MSU based on football considerations (slightly tougher strength of schedule for MSU; margin of victory shouldn't matter). Unfortunately, BCS at-large picks aren't made based so much on football considerations. End of the day, going to the Capital One Bowl again after the season MSU has had stinks, particularly when you consider that the Big Ten's participant in the Outback Bowl--which is basically the same bowl--will be a 7-5 team. Playing in a game with both a non-trademarked food-related word and a corporate sponsor in its official name would have been an appropriate capstone to the year. But the system is what it is and we happen to be one of the teams screwed by it this year. [/nonlaconicness]
- Dantonio voted against formula that denies MSU Rose Bowl | lansingstatejournal.com | Lansing State Journal
The only coach to do so, unfortunately.
- Detroit Media Myopia | scottwesterman.com
Quality anti-Freep rant from the MSUAA Exec Director.
- Michigan State Is Already Bowled Over By The BCS - SportsMoney - news on the business of sports - Forbes
More on the general getting-screwed theme.
- 2010 Bowl Projections - Post Week 13 - Off Tackle Empire
So maybe I was wrong about the Alabama thing yesterday. OTE thinks LSU will be the opponent in Orlando, despite the Tigers' appearance there last year.
- 2010 LSU And SEC Bowl Projections - And The Valley Shook
SBNation's LSU site thinks so, too (assuming Auburn doesn't lose to South Carolina; then Arkansas becomes the likely foe). LSU stacks up as a pretty ideal opponent, really: high-profile SEC program that MSU should have a decent shot at beating (one of the few teams with a gap nearly as large as ours between their ELO_CHESS and PREDICTOR rankings; i.e., lots of close wins). Also: We could avoid 4 weeks of "Saban jilted us, now revenge shall be ours!!!" news stories/internet discussions.
- Boise State's fall, Wisconsin's Rose Bowl dreams and projecting all 35 bowl games - Stewart Mandel - SI.com
Mandel also says MSU vs. LSU.
- NCAA College Basketball Polls, College Basketball Rankings, NCAA Basketball Polls - ESPN
Basketball team is down to #6 in both polls. UConn up from unranked to #7/#9.
- Spartans' Draymond Green draws more praise as return to starting lineup appears likely | MLive.com
Not entirely clear how Nix returning means Day Day should start again, but I'm not going to get worked up about this either way. Unlikely to have any real impact on how many minutes he ends up playing.
- Lucas Named Conference Player of the Week - MICHIGAN STATE OFFICIAL ATHLETIC SITE
Not bad for a guy no one thought would be at 100% for at least a few more weeks.
- Your guide to the ACC/Big Ten Challenge | the kenpom.com blog
The numbers like the Big Ten's chances to repeat: 64%.
- Don't tell the Big Ten it's the favorite | Basketball Prospectus | Unfiltered
Gasaway picks out the three key games (hint: MSU-Duke is not one of them).
- Previewing the Big Ten-ACC Challenge — UMHoops.com
Dylan with a complete rundown of the match-ups.
- 2010 ACC-Big Ten Challenge Preview | From The Barn
Another good rundown. Minnesota is the one Big Ten team in action tonight, BTW, playing Virginia on ESPN2 startiiiiing NOW.
ADDED: Q-and-A with Tom Izzo - College Basketball - Rivals.com
Good stuff. Downplays PT as a role in Nix's decision not go to Maui. (HT: Ducking Delvon)
Linking Laconically isn't conceding the BCS slot! Except it kind of is.
If you buy something from an SB Nation link, Vox Media may earn a commission. See our ethics statement.