MSU Basketball was the subject of more good news today, as it was announced that the Spartans would feature along with Navy, Tennessee and VCU as the four teams to play in the inaugural Veterans Classic. The tournament will be held at the Naval Academy in Annapolis, Maryland starting Friday, November 14th. Here's what Izzo had to say about the opportunity:
"I've been fortunate enough to play in some amazing venues and be part of some great events, but the one thing I've always felt was missing was the chance to play at one of our service academies," Spartans coach Tom Izzo said. "I'm excited to expose my team to the realities of life at the Naval Academy. ... We are honored to take part in an event honoring our Veterans, and to be playing at a place that has produced some of our country's great leaders. And for me, I'm glad to have another opportunity to coach against my friend Ed DeChellis, a coach for whom I have the utmost respect. "
A few notes on the tournament:
- Michigan State football plays Maryland on November 15th, the day after Spartan Basketball faces Navy. So why not make a weekend of it?
- If you do decide to head to Navy, I can give no higher recommendation to take a tour of the Academy. It is a beautiful campus, and the amount of history located there is fascinating (my personal favorite - John Paul Jones's crypt. No, not the bassist from Led Zeppelin, he's not dead yet).
- We have Ed DeChellis back in our lives sans Talor Battle. This can only be a good thing.
- While Navy should be a walkover (9-21 last season, 303 in KenPom), either VCU or Tennessee will be a good neutral site game, with Tennessee being a Sweet 16 team from last season, and VCU has been one of the best mid-major teams in the past few years.
- Annapolis is a gorgeous city. If you do decide to make it a weekend, stay there and not Baltimore or College Park.
- The games will be broadcast on CBS Sports Network. I think you get that, don't you? Here's to us checking our cable guides in five months only to realize CBS Sports is on another tier.