Michigan State's spring football season opens today and culminates with the spring game April 25. There hasn't been much in the way of football news, outside of player discipline issues and with the Spartan basketball team's run to the Sweet Sixteen, the football team has gotten a little lost in the shuffle.
So today I wanted to reach out to you, the TOC readers/commentariat to find out what you are most interested in following this spring football season. I have listed five options below with a little explanation on each of their inclusions and be sure to cast your vote for the most in the poll at the bottom of the post. We of course will continue to cover all things Michigan State here at TOC but I thought it would be fun to get your opinion on the most important stories and that way we may focus on it a little bit more. So cast your vote and participate in the comment section on what you'll be paying attention to this spring!
- Running Back competition- This was a story before Delton Williams was suspended last week. With Williams' future with the Spartans murky, it is unclear who will replace the carries of Jeremy Langford. The competition will now turn to Gerald Holmes and Madre London for the spring, with freshman L.J. Scott sure to factor in once fall practice comes around. Running back has typically been a position with concern in the spring and seamless transitions by the time the season rolls around (see: Edwin Baker-Le'Veon Bell-Jeremy Langford).
- Life without Pat Narduzzi- This may be hard to notice during the spring but does the MSU defense change at all without Pat Narduzzi as defensive coordinator. Does the co-defensive coordinator setup of Harlon Barnett and Mike Tressel have some growing pains like when the offense went to a co-coordinator design?
- Secondary Changes- Not only in players but do we see a scheme change? Outside of Trae Waynes last season, the Michigan State secondary seemed to struggle with the press coverage deployed by Pat Narduzzi. With changes on the staff and roster turnover, how does Michigan State retool the "No Fly Zone"?
- Help for Connor Cook- With Tony Lippett and Langofrd gone, and now suspensions to Williams and Macgarrett Kings Connor Cook has seen his offensive support from last season take a significant hit. The Spartans did have depth at receiver a year ago but looking to see who will be Connor's new go-to target could be interesting.
- Dantonio Scoring System- One of my favorite things is the Mark Dantonio scrimmage scoring system. Offense vs. Defense, 1st string vs. 2nd string, point value of a pass break-up vs. a pancake block. How will this year's scrimmages be scored?