The Big Ten’s first weekly basketball honors are out, and with it comes the first honor for a member of the Michigan State Spartans.
Miles Bridges was named co-freshman of the week, along with Indiana’s Curtis Jones. Elsewhere, Illinois’ Malcolm Hill and Indiana’s James Blackmon Jr. shared player of the week honors.
Here’s the stat line on Bridges:
Miles Bridges, Michigan State
G/F – 6-7 – Flint, Mich. – Huntington Prep
• Scored 21 points, corralled seven rebounds, handed out two assists and swiped one steal in the Spartans’ two-point setback versus #12/9 Arizona in the Armed Forces Classic
• Converted 9-of-19 field goals, and was 2-of-2 from the free throw line
• Joined Jay Vincent (25 points; 1977) as the only other Michigan State freshman to score more than 20 points in his Spartan debut
• Earns his first Freshman of the Week honor
• Last Michigan State Freshman of the Week: Deyonta Davis (Feb. 1, 2016)
I get the feeling this won’t be Bridges’ last honor from the conference.