The Spartans did it again, and by “it” I mean go out and prove me completely wrong. My prediction was downright awful and Michigan State made sure I knew about it with their complete sweep of Fresno State.
After having to relocate to Fifth Third Ballpark in Grand Rapids for the weekend they looked like a completely different team. Whenever the Spartans are forced to play outside of East Lansing they perform very well.
Michigan State finished the series victory with a 8-2 win Sunday afternoon, where they clinched the sweep and are now hopefully back where they need to be in terms of playing good/consistent baseball.
Fresno State didn’t stand much of a chance as the series unfolded. Michigan State ended up outscoring them 27-11 and outhitting them 36-26. Spartan fans can finally exhale because the five game losing streak is over. MSU has now won three in a row to improve to 18-10 overall while the Bulldogs dipped to 16-15.
These games were out of conference so Michigan State remains 7th in the Big Ten (3-3).
Spartans Staying The Course
Michigan State exploded offensively this weekend. They now rank 34th in the country for team batting average (.299) and are good enough for 19th in runs scored per game (7.6).
Here’s how some of the guys seasons are stacking up after an impressive series.
- Alex Troop (P/1B): .365 (19-52), 6 2B, 1 3B, 3 HR, 9 RBI
- Marty Bechina (3B): .330 (35-106), 5 2B, 1 3B, 6 HR, 21 RBI
- Bryce Kelley (OF): .327 (17-52), 1 2B, 1 3B, 11 RBI
- Brandon Hughes (CF): .325 (39-120), 6 2B, 1 3B, 4 HR, 27 RBI
- Zach McGuire (INF): .299 (32-107), 10 2B, 5 HR, 21 RBI
- Michigan State is back in business. Of course every time I say this something seems to go awry so let’s just knock on wood for good measure.
- The offense burst back onto the scene and the results that followed speak for themselves.
- During the Spartans five game losing streak they totaled 15 runs and 38 hits.
- In the three games that Michigan State played against the Bulldogs they nearly doubled their run total (just shy of 30). The key in this series was the offense showed up and did what their capable of.
Michigan State heads to South Bend for a one game series against the Fighting Irish. The game is set for April 11th at 6:05 p.m. ET