Michigan State and Northwestern played a doubleheader Friday after the series was adjusted due to inclement weather in the Evanston area. That’s why the series was wrapped up on Saturday instead of the traditional Sunday finale.
With the series win the Spartans improved to 23-17 overall and 7-8 in B1G play, whereas the Wildcats are now 17-25 and 6-9 in the conference. Michigan State has now won the last four series against Northwestern, along with four of the last five overall games between the two.
The Spartans split the doubleheader against NW, winning the first game 8-1, before losing a close one 3-2.
Michigan State closed out the series in style with a 13-5 victory during Saturday’s finale. MSU used a six run fifth inning eruption to close the door on any chances that the Wildcats may have had.
Despite enduring cold and rainy conditions throughout, the Spartans still managed to swipe 11 stolen bases, the most by a B1G ten team this season. Royce Ando, Dan Chmiewlewski, and Marty Bechina all finished with three a piece. While center fielder Brandon Hughes and fellow outfielder Bryce Kelley had one.
Michigan State’s 13 runs contributes to their 12th double digit win of the season. Which ties the 2012 season mark. It was also the Spartans second double digit win of the week.
Spartans Staying The Course
Brandon Hughes 21st stolen base on the season, moved him into Michigan State’s top ten single season list for stolen bases. Now tied for ninth with MSU legends Kirk Gibson and Joe Gavel.
- Bryce Kelley (LF): .343 (35-102), 3 2B, 2 3B, 17 RBI
- Alex Troop (P/1B): .329 (24-73), 6 2B, 1 3B, 3 HR, 10 RBI
- Brandon Hughes (CF): .327 (50-153), 9 2B, 1 3B, 5 HR, 31 RBI, 21 SB
- Chad Roskelly (C): .300 (18-60), 2 2B, 2 HR, 14 RBI
- Iowa (Sparty’s next opponent) is fourth in the B1G with a 9-6 record.
- Michigan State is 0-7 against the top 5 teams in the conference — including Maryland, Michigan, and Minnesota.
- MSU is 7-2 when facing three out of the four worst teams in the Big Ten — Northwestern, Illinois, and Ohio State.
- If Sparty wants to make any noise in the B1G this year they have to win their last three series against Iowa, Nebraska, and Michigan (all are top five teams).
The Spartans will host a three game home series against Iowa starting Friday May 5th. Due to final exams Michigan State will not have a mid week match up.