Michigan State beat the Chippewas candidly in a 7-0 shutout Tuesday afternoon. With the win MSU improves to 28-21 on the year while Central Michigan slides to 28-24 overall.
The Spartans handled the Chips with ease on their way to sweeping the home and home series and outscoring them 18-2. Michigan State has now won 14 of the last 18 meetings with Central.
Michigan State’s offense was very top heavy yesterday — the 1-4 hitters combined to go 8-for-18 with four RBI and contributed to scoring all seven runs for Sparty.
A Little History
Center fielder Brandon Hughes broke the Michigan State baseball single-season stolen bases record when he acquired his 30th of the year during the Spartans 7-0 win.
He stole three bases in this game passing Anthony Cheky’s record 29 stolen bases that was set in 2014.
Tuesday was Brandon’s sixth game of the season with multiple stolen bases and his second time swiping three in 2017.
Spartans Staying The Course
First baseman Zack McGuire went 3-for-5 with one RBI. Junior DH Chad Roskelly continues his work at the plate finishing 2-for-4 with three runs scored and two RBI. He now has a 12 game hitting streak, going .434 (20-46) with 14 RBI over that time.
Senior Dan Durkin ended his afternoon with two hits, a run scored, and a single RBI. While his freshman counterpart, Bryce Kelley, was 2-for-5 with one RBI.
In addition to all that seven of the nine Spartans in the starting lineup had at least one hit.
- Bryce Kelley (RF): .352 (50-142), 6 2B, 3 3B, 20 RBI
- Chad Roskelly (DH): .344 (33-96), 6 2B, 3 HR, 24 RBI
- Brandon Hughes (CF): .337 (64-190), 11 2B, 1 3B, 5 HR, 33 RBI
- Alex Troop (P/1B): .321 (26-81), 6 2B, 1 3B, 3 HR, 12 RBI
- The season is just about over Spartan fans, it didn’t go exactly how we wanted it but all in all this team should be much better next year.
- Michigan State still has one last chance to beat their hated rival, Michigan.
- With not many posts left I just wanted to say I’ve enjoyed covering the team this year — thank you to all Spartan fans out there. I hope you liked reading these as much as I did writing them.
Three game series — McLane Stadium — against in-state rival Michigan opening Thursday, May 18th. Be there or be square.