Michigan State baseball lost their final regular season series against the No. 15 Wolverines over the weekend. They came out of the gates strong with a surprising 6-1 victory on Thursday before losing the final two games of 2017.
Sadly this means the Spartans have to end their season with a 29-23 record along with a 10-14 B1G mark. Unfortunately this also means there will be no postseason for MSU. They finished ninth in the conference — just missing a chance to play in the Big Ten Tournament. While the Wolverines improved to 42-13 overall solidifying their No. 2 spot in the tournament.
Sunday’s loss was devastating for a number of reasons but especially for our Seniors who weren’t able to get one final victory at home against the Wolverines.
I think I speak for Michigan State fans everywhere by thanking each and every one of them for a wonderful four years of baseball. They include Walter Borkovich, Matt Byars, Joe Mockbee, Dan Durkin, Taylor Grace, Josh Buchalski, and their manager Gabe Jasinki. All were honored during the pre-game ceromony.
Every one of them contributed to the Spartans successes in one way or another. They will be deeply missed.
Spartans Staying The Course
It was a tough ending to Senior Day for the Spartans on Saturday, dropping a 2-1, 10-inning heartbreaker to end the 2017 season. #GoGreen pic.twitter.com/ReS2JHdt1R— Michigan St Baseball (@statebaseball) May 20, 2017
Catcher Matt Byars ended the regular season going 1-for-5 and scoring the Spartans only run of the game. Marty Bechina went 1-for-3 and the Spartans designated hitter, Chad Roskelly, was 1-for-4 when it was all said and done.
- Bryce Kelley (RF): .353 (55-156), 7 2B, 3 2B, 21 RBI
- Brandon Hughes (CF): .330 (67-203), 12 2B, 1 3B, 5 HR, 35 RBI
- Chad Roskelly (DH): .324 (35-108), 6 2B, 3 HR, 24 RBI
- Alex Troop (P/1B): .321 (26-81), 6 2B, 1 3B, 3 HR, 12 RBI
- Well, Spartan fans the season is finally over and it really wasn’t pretty.
- Michigan State was seven games worse than last year and fell quite short for a team who could have achieved a lot in the conference this season.
- Baseball season is over for MSU but my coverage of the team is not, keep an eye out for my season recaps.