Michigan State baseball lost their final regular season series against the No. 15 Wolverines over the weekend. They came out of the gates strong with a surprising 6-1 victory on Thursday before losing the final two games of 2017.
Sadly this means the Spartans have to end their season with a 29-23 record along with a 10-14 B1G mark. Unfortunately this also means there will be no postseason for MSU. They finished ninth in the conference — just missing a chance to play in the Big Ten Tournament. While the Wolverines improved to 42-13 overall solidifying their No. 2 spot in the tournament.
Sunday’s loss was devastating for a number of reasons but especially for our Seniors who weren’t able to get one final victory at home against the Wolverines.
I think I speak for Michigan State fans everywhere by thanking each and every one of them for a wonderful four years of baseball. They include Walter Borkovich, Matt Byars, Joe Mockbee, Dan Durkin, Taylor Grace, Josh Buchalski, and their manager Gabe Jasinki. All were honored during the pre-game ceromony.
Every one of them contributed to the Spartans successes in one way or another. They will be deeply missed.
Spartans Staying The Course
Catcher Matt Byars ended the regular season going 1-for-5 and scoring the Spartans only run of the game. Marty Bechina went 1-for-3 and the Spartans designated hitter, Chad Roskelly, was 1-for-4 when it was all said and done.
- Bryce Kelley (RF): .353 (55-156), 7 2B, 3 2B, 21 RBI
- Brandon Hughes (CF): .330 (67-203), 12 2B, 1 3B, 5 HR, 35 RBI
- Chad Roskelly (DH): .324 (35-108), 6 2B, 3 HR, 24 RBI
- Alex Troop (P/1B): .321 (26-81), 6 2B, 1 3B, 3 HR, 12 RBI
- Well, Spartan fans the season is finally over and it really wasn’t pretty.
- Michigan State was seven games worse than last year and fell quite short for a team who could have achieved a lot in the conference this season.
- Baseball season is over for MSU but my coverage of the team is not, keep an eye out for my season recaps.