Can you feel it? Can you feel how close we are?
We are within 50 days of football returning to East Lansing, and what better way to celebrate that fact with 50 reasons to get fired up about the season?
Let’s just get right into it.
1. Getting this new chapter started
One lengthy bowl game streak ended, so it’s time to start another one. People don’t think MSU can come back, but they also didn’t think we could win a Rose Bowl, go to the College Football Playoff or win two Big Ten Championship Games.
2. The deafening “Go Green, Go White” chants
3. Tailgating season
Including four times in September.
4. Brian Lewerke coming back healthy
He showed us he could be “the man” before his broken leg, and we can’t wait to see his redshirt sophomore year.
5. Messiah deWeaver coming back healthy
6. Damion Terry coming back healthy
Nothing like three healthy, talented QBs ready to roll and compete.
7. Three words: All White Everything
The (500 flame emojis) comes Sept. 9 against Western Michigan
8. Hearing the Spartan Marching Band after every touchdown, halftime or big defensive stop
9. Or watching their badass walk into the stadium
10. And also watching the football team walk to battle from Kellogg to Spartan Stadium
11. Opening night against Bowling Green
Having football back in East Lansing is like Christmas…but better.
12. Hearing the crowd roar the first time Jalen Watts-Jackson has his name called over the loudspeakers
13. Warm games
For those that like T-shirts and shorts
14. Chilly games
For the sweatshirt and jeans crowd (we don’t discriminate here)
15. Game two against Western Michigan
All-white jerseys. Tailgating with your WMU friends. Being in EL. That’s hard to beat.
16. Game three against Notre Dame
Night game. Historic rivalry. Hours of tailgating. Dang, that’s hard to beat too.
17. Watching LJ Scott light up defenses
18. And watching Gerald Holmes run through defenses
19. Game four against Iowa
Kicking off the Big Ten schedule with our fourth home game in September? We’ll take it.
20. Hearing the student section – and the rest of the stadium – bring the noise on third down
21. Watching the Allen brothers go to work on the offensive line
Straight outta Hinsdale, Ill., Brian (Outland Trophy Watch List) and Matt Allen are a dangerous combo
22. Zeke the Wonderdog at halftime
23. Game five on the road at Jalen Watts-Jackson Stadium
24. Hate Week leading up to that game
The week you’ll hear the most irrational statements ever said by mankind.
25. Watching replays of the Jalen Watts-Jackson touchdown during that game
26. Watching Sparty sprint into Spartan Stadium and plant the flag at the 50
27. Game six at Minnesota
Are they rowing boats there? Let’s just sink them anyway.
28. Watching the Dowell brothers go to work on defense
You don’t want to run into Andrew or David.
29. The wide receiver battle
Trishton Jackson, Felton Davis, Cam Chambers, Darrell Stewart Jr., Hunter Rison, Brandon Sowards, Justin Layne and Cody White? Sheesh.
30. George Blaha’s “TOUCH-DOWN M-S-U”
31. Road trips
Whether it’s road trips to your East Lansing tailgate or road trips to road games, it’s always a fun time with friends and family.
32. Game seven against Indiana
Homecoming on Oct. 21. Be there.
33. Game eight at Northwestern
To our great Chicago Spartans – be there.
34. Watching games from home
Sometimes sitting on the couch with a cold one is the best seat.
35. The search for the next great defensive lineman
Shilique Calhoun, Marcus Rush and Malik McDowell left big shoes to fill. Who’s the next star in the trenches?
36. The search for the next lockdown defensive back
We all know the famed No Fly Zone of 2013-14. Who can get that reignited this year?
37. Game nine against Penn State
It will be lit my friends.
38. The new permanent stadium lights
39. The south side Spartan Stadium renovations
Guys…bathrooms on the outside of the stadium! What a world.
40. Game 10 at Ohio State
What happened last time we played there?
41. The replays of that kick that will be sure to air during that game
42. The linebacker corps
Chris Frey, Shane Jones, Joey Bachie, Andrew Dowell and Byron Bullough? Now that’s a solid lineup.
43. Game 11 against Maryland
Last call for East Lansing tailgating in 2017.
44. Getting to know the freshmen class
Will anyone stand out immediately, like Antjuan Simmons, Kevin Jarvis, Matt Dotson, Josiah Scott or Hunter Rison?
45. Seeing the senior class leave their legacy
46. Game 12 at Rutgers
Can’t ask for a better opponent to close the regular season with.
47. Seeing who can replace Michael Geiger
There’s plenty of options with Matt Coghlin, Cole Hahn and Brett Scanlon all gunning for the top spot.
48. Watching – or maybe even going to – whatever bowl game MSU gets in
They’ll go to one this year
49. IT. IS. A. BEAUUU-TI-FUL DAY FOR FOOTBAAAAAAALL
50. Hanging out with 75,000+ of your best friends every home game
So, what did we miss? If there’s anything you’re fired up for this fall, let’s talk about it in the comments section.