It was a busy day for the Michigan State Spartans football program, as several prospects visited East Lansing today.
The Spartans hosted a plethora of recruits, which included mostly in-state recruits and many 2019 and 2020 targets. Let’s take a look at a few of the targets that were expected to be on campus.
- Darius Robinson, 2019 three-star defensive end, Canton (MI): one of the top remaining targets for the Spartans, Robinson will be taking his time making a decision in order to take official visits during the fall. MSU is one of five finalists with Syracuse, Maryland, Rutgers and Colorado.
- Tyrece Woods, 2019 three-star defensive end, Belleville (MI): Woods has not been offered by the Spartans yet, but that could come very soon. Woods will play for Belleville this season, which has built quite the pipeline to Michigan State recently, after playing for Detroit Martin Luther King. Woods has multiple offers, including his “dream offer” from Michigan.
- Sam Saxton, 2019 three-star pro-style quarterback, St. Michael’s Academy (TX): The Spartans are yet to offer Saxton, but many expect the offer to come while Saxton is on campus today. If so, there is a high chance he could commit soon, and will replace Dwan Mathis as the 2019 class’ lone signal-caller.
- Dustin Fletcher, 2020 three-star dual-threat quarterback, Flint Carman-Ainsworth (MI): Fletcher has yet to be offered by MSU, but is the brother of 2019 commit, defensive end Michael Fletcher. The Spartans love to recruit brothers, so an offer for the younger Fletcher is likely coming. Kentucky, Indiana, Central Michigan and others have offered.
- Dallas Fincher, 2020 three-star offensive guard, East Kentwood (MI): Fincher was offered by the Spartans back in April. His father played for MSU. He ranks as the 20th guard in the entire 2020 class, and has an impressive offer list, which includes Ohio State, Wisconsin, Michigan, Iowa, Indiana, Kentucky and more.
- Makari Paige, 2020 four-star safety, West Bloomfield (MI): Paige is a highly-touted recruit, who currently ranks as the No. 4 player in the state of Michigan, No. 10 safety and No. 195 overall in the 2020 class. MSU has not offered as of press time, but Paige holds offers from Penn State, Michigan, Ohio State, Iowa, Maryland and many others.
- Dylan Barrett, 2020 offensive guard, Saint Charles East (IL): Barrett is a rare out-of-state visit today, but holds offers from Northwestern, Wisconsin, Iowa, Duke, Boston College, Cincinnati and others. MSU has not yet offered.
- Devell Washington, 2020 three-star wide receiver, Bay City Central (MI): Washington received an offered from the Spartans upon his visit. He is entering his junior year in high school, but already has an impressive offer list with Michigan and Ohio State included.
- Ian Stewart, 2020 three-star wide receiver, Oscar A. Carlson (MI): The Spartans also offered fellow 2020 standout wide receiver Stewart today. Stewart has additional offers from Michigan, North Carolina State, Syracuse, Indiana, Boston College and many others.
With dozens of other recruits expected to have been on campus Tuesday (though I am unable to confirm all), other names included 2021 running back Donovan Edwards, 2019 linebacker Cornell Wheeler, 2020 defensive end Bryce Mostella, 2020 running back Penny Boone, 2020 athlete Cameron Martinez and many others.
It will be interesting to see how many of these players receive scholarship offers from Michigan State, and if the Spartans get any new commitments.
Additionally, several of the 2019 verbal commits were on campus as well: Devontae Dobbs, Julian Barnett, Michael Fletcher, Anthony Williams Jr., Tre Mosley, Marcel Lewis, Tate Hallock, Alante Brown, Spencer Brown, Adam Berhorst and Luke Fulton all made the trip.