clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

MSU Football: Two Players Suspended Indefinitely

After being arrested on Sept. 8, redshirt freshman Luke Fulton and Charles Willekes are suspended indefinitely from the team.

Spartan Stadium, North End Zone, May 2015
Kevin Knight

Michigan State Spartans football players Luke Fulton and Charles Willekes were arrested in connection to a Sept. 8 complaint in East Lansing. Both have been suspended indefinitely from the team.

East Lansing Police Department deputy chief Steve Gonzalez confirmed to the arrest. Gonzalez told MLive that he couldn’t disclose the reason Willekes was arrested because his court record is sealed. Similarly, Fulton’s court record is supposed to remain sealed under the Holmes Youthful Trainee Act (HYTA). However, some details were disclosed “in order to avoid any misleading information.”

Fulton is scheduled to be sentenced on Oct. 28. Under the HYTA, those sentenced who complete their requirements then have their records sealed. Fulton’s case was reduced from aggravated assault to assault and battery. Gonzalez told MLive that this is “not an unusual resolution where the person really wasn’t really hurt badly.”

The arrests occurred while MSU was conducting a strength and conditioning program after the fall season was initially postponed indefinitely. It was eight days later on Sept. 16 that the Big Ten formally announced the conference season would begin on Oct. 23.

MSU football spokesman Ben Phlegar in an exclusive statement issued to MLive said: “Luke Fulton and Charles Willekes were suspended from all team activities immediately, and remain suspended from the program indefinitely.”

Fulton was a three-star prospect who signed with the 2019 recruiting class. The 6-foot-4, 225-pound linebacker from Youngstown, Ohio redshirted as a true freshman last season. Willekes is a 6-foot-1 linebacker from Grand Rapids, and joined last season as a walk-on. He is the younger brother of All-American defensive end Kenny Willekes, and appeared in one game last season on special teams while taking a redshirt as a true freshman.


The arrests occurred at a fraternity house in East Lansing. This was discovered by a Detroit Free Press review of East Lansing Police arrest logs showing two suspects being arrested on the date in question at a fraternity house in downtown East Lansing. Officer Gonzalez also confirmed this to the Detroit Free Press.