Several Spartan athletes are excelling in the classroom, in addition to what they’re doing in their respective sports. The Big Ten announced a total of 1,602 fall student-athletes who have received Academic All-Big Ten honors, including 132 from Michigan State University.
The football team set a new program-record high with 33 players earning the recognition, including 16 players who have done so multiple times. Four players — AJ Arcuri, Reid Burton, Luke Campbell and Matt Coghlin have the very impressive distinction of making the Academic All-Big Ten team for the fourth time.
Meanwhile, men’s cross country (17), men’s soccer (eight), women’s cross country (27), field hockey (15), women’s soccer (21) and volleyball (10 — including friend of the website Elena Shklyar!) all had several representatives. There are 16 Spartans on the list with a perfect 4.0 grade-point average.
In order to be eligible for Academic All-Big Ten selection, students must be on a varsity team, be enrolled full-time at the institution for a minimum of 12 months, and carry a cumulative grade-point average of 3.0 or higher.
Congratulations to all of the honorees!
2020 Michigan State Football Academic All-Big Ten Team (number of selections in parenthesis):
- AJ Arcuri (four), OL, Sr., Packaging, Powell, OH
- Adam Berghorst (one), So., TE, Business, Zeeland, MI
- Evan Brunning (one), So., DT, Hospitality Business, Oxford, MI
- Blake Bueter (two), Jr., OL, Packaging, Howell, MI
- Reid Burton (four), Sr., TE, English, East Lansing, MI
- Luke Campbell (four), Sr., OL, Kinesiology, Lewis Center, OH
- Matt Coghlin (four), Sr., K, Finance, Cincinnati, OH
- Michael Dowell (two), So., S, Business, North Ridgeville, OH
- J.D. Duplain (one), So., OL, Business, Strongville, OH
- Michael Fletcher (one), So., DE, Business, Flint, MI
- Parks Gissinger (two), So., TE, Business, Los Angeles, CA
- Cole Hahn (three), Jr., K, Kinesiology, West Des Moines, IA
- Maverick Hansen (one), So., DT, Business, Farmington Hills, MI
- C.J. Hayes (three), WR, Jr., Communication, Bowling Green, KY
- Jack Henrichs (three), Jr., OL, Actuarial Science, Mequon, WI
- Damon Kaylor (one), So., OL, AgriBusiness Management, Huntington, IN
- Chase Kline (one), So., LB, Apparel and Textile Design, Chardon, OH
- David Kruse (two), So., S, Construction Management, Lowell, MI
- Dominique Long (three), Sr., S, Mechanical Engineering, Westerville, OH
- Jack Mandryk (three), Jr., S, Finance, Hudsonville, MI
- Cade McDonald (one), So., WR, Business, Naperville, IL
- Eli McLean (two), So., QB, Business, Clarkston, MI
- Tre’Von Morgan (one), So., WR, Communication, Massillon, OH
- Evan Morris (one), So., P/K. Social Science, Education Elsie, MI
- Terry O’Connor (two), So., LB, Kinesiology, Traverse City, MI
- James Ohonba (one), So., OL, Criminal Justice, Stockbridge, GA
- Jude Pedrozo (one), So., LS, Mechanical Engineering, Westerville, OH
- Nick Samac (one), So., OL, Communication, Mentor, OH
- Jack Saylor (one), So., DE, Criminal Justice, Rochester, MI
- Payton Thorne (one), So., QB, Communication, Naperville, IL
- DeAri Todd (three), Jr., DE, Kinesiology, Lorain, OH
- Dan VanOpstall (one), So., OL, Economics, Jenison, MI
- Torrell Williams (one), So., CB, Business, Detroit, MI
For the full list of MSU fall student-athletes who were recognized, click here.