The Michigan State Spartans are in Indianapolis tonight to face off against the Butler Bulldogs in historic Hinkle Fieldhouse. The game is part of the Gavitt Tipoff Games between the Big Ten and Big East. The Big Ten holds the edge in the all-time contest, going 2-0-3 since its inception in 2015, but is currently 0-4 this year in the contests and needs to win out to avoid its first loss in the event.
As for the Spartans, MSU is 1-0 in the event and tonight’s game marks the 25th all-time meeting between Michigan State and Butler.
- Michigan State currently leads the all-time series 13-11 that dates to 1927.
- The Spartans trail Butler on the road all-time, holding a 4-8 mark.
- The last win by Michigan State in the series was a 77-71 win on Dec. 20, 1971 in Hinkle Fieldhouse.
- Butler holds a one game win streak in the series, having won the last matchup between the programs in the 2010 NCAA National Semifinals (Final Four) in Indianapolis where the Bulldogs prevailed 52-50.
- The matchup tonight will be just the second time Michigan State’s Tom Izzo has coached against Butler at the helm.
- Despite only playing once since that 1977 matchup, Butler ranks No. 20 on the list of teams Michigan State has played the most games against since 1949-50.