Baseball season is near, and the Michigan State Spartans have unveiled its 2021 season schedule.
Due to COVID-19, Michigan State will now play 44 total games over 13 weekends in a Big Ten Conference-only schedule, beginning on Friday, March 5.
Games will only be played on weekends, with the Spartans playing a Big Ten opponent three or four times each weekend, Friday through Sunday. There will be no early or mid-week games.
It's HEEEEERRRREEE!!!!— Michigan State Baseball (@statebaseball) February 17, 2021
The 2⃣0⃣2⃣1⃣ is here!
MSU will actually kick off the season at Fluor Field in Greenville, South Carolina in back-to-back weeks. The Spartans open against the Maryland Terrapins from March 5 through March 7 and then play Northwestern Wildcats the following weekend at the same location from March 12 through March 14.
The Spartans then head to Ann Arbor for the team’s first “pod play” from March 19 through March 21, with the Michigan Wolverines and Illinois Fighting Illini also participating.
Michigan State’s home opener taking place at McLane Stadium at Kobs Field is the weekend of March 26 through March 28 against the Indiana Hoosiers.
The team’s full regular season schedule is as follows:
- March 5-7 vs. Maryland (Greenville, South Carolina)
- March 12-14 vs. Northwestern (Greenville, South Carolina)
- March 19-21 (pod play in Ann Arbor) vs. Illinois
- March 19-21 (pod play in Ann Arbor) at Michigan
- March 26-28 (home opener) vs. Indiana
- April 2-4 at Minnesota
- April 9-11 (pod play in East Lansing) vs. Penn State
- April 9-11 (pod play in East Lansing) vs. Purdue
- April 16-18 (pod play in Champaign) vs. Purdue
- April 16-18 (pod play in Champaign) at Illinois
- April 23-35 vs. Nebraska
- April 30-May 2 at Penn State
- May 7-9 vs. Michigan
- May 14-16 at Ohio State
- May 21-23 at Rutgers
- May 28-30 vs. Iowa
There will not be a Big Ten Baseball Tournament this season. The NCAA Regionals are scheduled for June 4 through June 6, with Super Regional currently set for June 11 through June 13, and the College World Series June 18 through June 27, at TD Ameritrade Park in Omaha, Nebraska.
Per Michigan State’s press release, Due to the ongoing pandemic, the general public will not permitted to attend 2021 Spartan baseball home games. However, family members of the student-athletes may be allowed to attend.