With basketball season in the rear view mirror, the Michigan State football team kicked off its spring practice today.
The Spartans will have morning practices every Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday with the spring game taking place April 24.
Some new faces have arrived on campus, while others have left or switched numbers. Here are a few notes from the spring football roster:
- Of note, wide receiver Laress Nelson, offensive tackle Jordan Reid, defensive back Tre Person, offensive tackle, Mustafa Khaleefah and tight end Matt Dotson were absent from the spring roster.
- Offensive tackle A.J. Arcuri, offensive tackle Luke Campbell, defensive end Drew Beesley, defensive end Jacub Panasiuk, center Matt Allen and kicker Matt Coglin are returning for an extra year of eligibility.
- From the portal, defensive end Drew Jordan, running back Kenneth Walker III, quarterback Anthony Russo, safety Kendall Brooks, cornerback Spencer Rowland and offensive tackle Jarrett Horst appear on the opening practice roster, as expected after being mid-year additions to the program.
- Interestingly. running back Brandon Wright is switching to defensive end.
- Wide receiver Jayden Reed is switching from No. 5 to No. 1. He is the first player to wear No. 1 since Charles Rogers in 2001-02.
The full 2021 spring roster can be found here.