It may have taken until the final week of the season for a Michigan State Spartan to earn Big Ten Player of the Week honors, but Aaron Henry finally nabbed them during the final week of the regular season. On the season as a whole, Henry has been averaging 32.1 minutes per game, 15.5 points per game, 5.5 rebounds per game, 3.5 assists per game, 1.3 blocks per game, and 1.3 steals per game. He has also been hitting 32.7 percent from deep and 50.0 percent from two point range in conference play.
But it was Henry’s play over the past week that drew the attention of the Big Ten Conference:
The #B1GMBBall #PlayeroftheWeek honoree is Aaron Henry of @MSU_Basketball— Big Ten Men's Hoops (@B1GMBBall) March 8, 2021
Helped the Spartans defeat No. 2 Michigan in Sunday’s regular-season finale (18 pts, 5 rebounds & 3 assists)
1st Player of the Week of his career
➡️ https://t.co/8wP1n2WJq7 pic.twitter.com/TeJRdCkWCt
As the official announcement from the Big Ten notes regarding Henry’s outstanding week:
- Averaged 18.0 points, 6.0 rebounds and 3.0 assists per game in the Spartans’ three contests vs. Indiana, at then-ranked No. 2/No. 2 Michigan and vs. then-ranked No. 2/No. 2 Michigan.
- Led Michigan State in both points (22) and rebounds (eight) in the team’s 64-58 win vs. Indiana. Registered a double-digit point total for the 11th-straight game and the 22nd time this season.
- Helped the Spartans defeat then-ranked No. 2/No. 2 Michigan in Sunday’s regular-season finale by scoring 18 points, grabbing five rebounds and dishing out three assists. Scored 13 of his 18 points in the second half. Marked the 24th time this season and 13th-consecutive game that he scored in the double digits.
- Earns the first Player of the Week accolade of his career
- Last Michigan State Player of the Week: Cassius Winston (March 9, 2020)
This also marks the second straight season Michigan State players have earned final week honors. In the 2020 season’s final week, Cassius Winston earned Player of the Week honors while Rocket Watts earned Freshman of the Week honors.