It was Michigan State running back Kenneth Walker III who was the first Spartan to hear his name called, getting selected by the Seattle Seahawks in the second round at No. 41 overall. Meanwhile, wide receiver Jalen Nailor (sixth round, No. 191 overall to the Minnesota Vikings), fullback/tight end/H-back Connor Heyward (sixth round, No. 208 overall to the Pittsburgh Steelers) and offensive tackle AJ Arcuri (seventh round, No. 261 overall to the Los Angeles Rams) also were drafted.
Now that the draft is finished, prospects who were not selected have a chance to sign with NFL teams as undrafted free agents or get invited to rookie minicamp.
The Only Colors will use this post (originally published on May 1) to track each Spartan joining an NFL team, and update when more news comes in.
So far, this is what we know:
- Defensive end Jacub Panasiuk has signed with the Washington Commanders.
- Offensive lineman Kevin Jarvis has signed with the Detroit Lions.
✍️✍️✍️— Michigan State Football (@MSU_Football) May 1, 2022
Spartan Dawg ➝ Detroit pic.twitter.com/ht8HWktszw
- Kicker Matt Coghlin has accepted a rookie minicamp invitation (May 6-May 8) with the Chicago Bears and will look to make an impression there to earn a roster spot.
- Quarterback Anthony Russo has received an invitation to the Carolina Panthers’ rookie minicamp (May 13-May 15), first announced by his personal coach, Tony Racioppi, and later confirmed by Russo himself.
- Center/interior offensive lineman Matt Allen is getting a shot in the NFL. He has been invited to rookie minicamp with the New York Giants.
- Defensive end Drew Jordan will join Russo and attend rookie minicamp with the Carolina Panthers (May 13-May 15), he announced.
God is so Great! Thank you to all of those that prayed and sent well wishes! As my Dad told me as a kid, “Success is when preparation meets opportunity!” Thankful for the opportunity to attend Rookie mini camp with the Carolina Panthers! Let’s get to work! @Panthers— Drew Jordan (@End2Endzone) May 8, 2022
- Linebacker Noah Harvey has received an invite to rookie minicamp with the Las Vegas Raiders (May 13-May 15)
Other Michigan State Spartans pursuing the NFL or professional football include interior offensive lineman Blake Bueter, defensive end Drew Beesley and punter Cody Waddell. All of whom participated in Michigan State’s pro day in March.